January 30, 2011

Personlalized Wood Block Lamp

I was thinking about lamps one day when I woke up. I wanted to come up with a fun creative lamp. Then BAM! it hit me. I could use wooden blocks as the base! I went to this cute shop called The Wood Connection and bought 4 3x3 unfinished wooden blocks for $3 each. Yeah, kinda expensive especially since I found some at the DI for 50 cents each, but oh well.

I made this before I thought about this blog, so I don't have step by step pics, but this is what I did.

1. Drilled a whole in the middle of each of the blocks and cut out a groove in the bottom block for the cord to rest in and so the lamp would sit nicely on the table.
2. When to Home Depot and bought a lamp kit and pipe kit-12" threaded rod (1/8). The lamp kit was $10 and the pipe kit was was $6.

3. Put the rod in the blocks and assembled the lamp kit. It was super easy. I just followed the instructions on the back of the box. I did have to saw off some of the rod to make it all fit together and so the socket would sit flush to the block.

I turned this into a Christmas present for my mom. I decided to personalize the lamp by putting family pictures on the blocks. I printed off some of my favorite family pics and cut out some cute paper that matched her house.

First, I painted the edges of the blocks black. When that was done I played around with the pictures and paper until I had them how I wanted. Then, I spread mod podge over the blocks and put the pics/paper on. I was going to mod podge over those, but I always get at least some kind of bubbling, so I just sprayed them will a clear gloss. I was so glad I did....a lot less of a hassle. Last, I cut out a piece of felt and hot glued it to the bottom block.

Finally, I went to Target and bought a lamp shade for $8. I went to IKEA first and would recommend going there for the more thrifty approach. The lamp shades are just as cute. The reason I didn't get one there is because I had bought a lamp shade harp thinking that I needed one. I hadn't noticed that lamp shades don't really need those anymore. I was cursing IKEA lamp shades for being Swedish, but after I went to Target I realized that most lamp shades don't even need a harp anymore! Ya learn something new every day. Total cost of lamp: $36. Ok enough chit chat heres the lamp! Drum roll please.......



Super cute, right! I was so happy with how it turned out. It was even better than how I envisioned it would look.  Here are some pics of the different sides.







Here is the felt on the bottom. I'm going to go back and drill a groove in all 4 sides. I only did one side and so when my mom rotates the lamp the cord comes out all funny like in the picture above.



Here is a picture of what the lamp socket looks like. The lamp shade sits right on the socket and then you can screw the light bulb in.


My mom loved it and was so surprised! I surprised myself with my new found electrical abilities. It is something my whole family can now treasure.

1 comment:

  1. I love the lamp!! It was such a surprise and a great gift. One that I will always treasure.

    ReplyDelete