March 17, 2011

Tea Time

I fell in love with teacups after I saw this clock over at Vintage Revivals...one of my fav blogs ever! Mandi is super creative and has some dang good skills, plus she's hilarious! She got inspired by the clock from Umbra and then there is this way cute clock at Retropolitan. L.O.V.E

I was sold. I HAD to make one of my own. Cue obsessive thinking about anything to do with this clock. I didn't want mine to be too large and in charge, so when I found a set of smaller sized teacups at Ross I was giddy with excitement!



Not very cute. The plates aren't in there, but they had the same design. Unfortunately, as you can see, there was only one set of 6 cups and plates. I am way too impatient to wait and try to find 6 more of the right size, so I figured, what the heck, I'll just use the six and everyone can use their imaginations to pretend the rest of the numbers are on there.

Here she be!







 Now for the run down:

I originally went to Home Depot and got a round particle board, but decided that was WAY to heavy and I didn't want to deal with hammering it into the wall.  I was wandering through IKEA one day and found a black circular magnet board! It was the exact size I needed, didn't weigh hardly anything and it was magnetic...awesome! That opened up doors of endless possibilities.

I've always wanted to do something turquoise and black. I thought this would be a great opportunity. Here's the play-by-play of the clock creating process:

1. Measured scrapbook paper. I made a template from the cardboard that came with the magnet board by creating my own protractor. I put a pin in the center with string attached, then tied the other end to a pencil traced a new circle to the width I wanted my paper to be, which was pretty much the width of the teacup.

2. Now this is the part I got ahead of myself on. I glued the paper down not even thinking that when I go to put my teacups on, they will just rip the paper off from being so heavy....duh! So, I had to buy new paper and start over..sheesh, always making it harder than it needs to be. So, then I placed the plates where evenly around the board and trace around them, then cut out the circles. Now the teacups will be glued to the magnet board.

3. I spray painted all the teacups with Krylon Ocean Breeze, Ivory and Black (all gloss). I first primed, then painted. This was quite the process, but finally I finished. Be careful to spray in light coats, so the paint doesn't run into the cup. I didn't really have a problem, but it could be a big one.

4. Once everything was dried. I used Gorilla Glue to glue the cups to the plates and the plates to the board. I still had my wood round, and that thing was heavy, so I put that on top to create the seal.

5. On one DI trip, I had found a clock for $1, that I later found was from Target for like $15...score! I used just the hands from it and painted them blue. I didn't really care to use the mechanism and have my clock actually work. I really just hate the sound of a ticking clock when it's quiet.

6. Details on the saucers: Polka-dot plates: I used a penny and traced circles all over two of the plates then just painted the circles in. White plate: I used my Cricut to cut out a flower to had a little detail. I like the little jewel and dots around the edge of that cup.

I like how it turned out! I'm probably going to try and incorporate the magnetic component. I might put something in between the cups to be the place of the other numbers...I don't know yet. I'm letting it simmer.

Side note..I know it looks terrible with the purple wall, but I had no where else to put it and I wanted to enjoy it. One day it will have a better home that will really compliment it.

Price breakdown:
1. Teacups: $7
2. Magnet board: $9
3. Clock hands: $1
4. Paper: $1
Total: $18

No comments:

Post a Comment